5 Tips on How to Accomplish Your Goals
So Many Thoughts…
I once read that humans have between 12,000 and 60,000 thoughts per day. Many of us think about life, money and our future. We think to ourselves “I will start my own business,” or “I will enroll in college.” It sounds good to us, but when it comes to to it we don’t follow through. Why is this? This happens for many reasons that most of us can relate to. So, stick around. I will share my 5 tips on how to accomplish your goals.
Before we go into how to accomplish our goals, let’s talk about what stops us. It seems like nothing should stop us, right? We want something so bad, we can see it in our minds. So, why don’t we do it? Aside from a lack of motivation, below are 5 reasons we won’t accomplish our goals:
- Too much talk
- Negative self-talk
First, let’s start with procrastination as most of us are familiar with it. Example: “I’ll start tomorrow,” or “I need more time.” For many, starting a task is the hardest part. We put things off for so long that we lose the drive to do it. The longer it takes to get things started, the harder it is to follow through.
Next, is fear. Fear of the unknown, fear of failure and fear of actually succeeding. “What if my idea is not good enough?” Or, “What if this changes my life?”
But, why would someone fear success? We’re afraid we will lose ourselves if things are too good. We’ve gotten so comfortable with our lifestyle that the thought of change scares us.
Now, excuses is one that sneaks up on us and sometimes we don’t even realize it. We convince ourselves that our are excuses are true. “I can’t,” “I don’t have the money” or, “Now is not a good time.” When we do this we talk ourselves out of what may be the best decisions of our lives.
Too Much Talking…
Have you ever met the person who has an idea for everything, gives all the details, but never does it. I know I’ve done this before. “I’m going to…” Sometimes we get caught in all the planning and talking about it, and before you know it, a year passed and we still haven’t started.
Lastly, a lack of self-confidence is probably the biggest roadblock of all. Not believing in ourselves and our abilities keeps us stuck where we are. Self-confidence sets the foundation for everything we do and don’t do in our lives. For more on this, here are 23 ways to build self-confidence.
We’ve all experienced at least one thing on this list, maybe more than one. But, there’s no need to worry because for every issue there is a solution.
Everyone Can Do It…
There is no person who is more deserving of greatness than the other. No one is lucky, and we all have the same chance for greatness. Each and every one of us is born with gifts and talents that are waiting to be shared with the world. Even if we have not discovered them yet. Read more on How to discover your gifts and talents.
Now, I’m not saying that life is easy and that things won’t get in the way because they will. In life, we face challenges and we don’t always have things figured out. But the great thing about life is our ability to try again.
Whether we want to go to school to become an expert at something, or we want to start a business we all have something to offer the world. More importantly, we feel good about ourselves when we follow through with our plans. So, let’s get right into 5 tips on how to accomplish your goals.
5 Tips on How to Accomplish Your Goals:
- Start immediately. Once you have an idea in your head, write it down right away. Don’t wait until tomorrow or when you have more time. This means making time on your lunch break at work, putting your cell phone in another room for an hour to avoid distractions and starting even when you don’t feel like it. The sooner you start, the more likely you are to follow through. No more procrastination.
- Don’t let fear stop you. Feel the fear, and do it anyway. It’s better to try and fail than to live a life of “what if’s.” Understand, it’s okay to fail and it’s okay to succeed. If you fail, you learn and try again. If you succeed, even better. Keep going.
- Get rid of excuses. Excuses are justifications we use to get out of doing what needs to be done. Push them away because they are all untrue.
- Stop Talking and start doing. Talking about something without putting action to it is a form of procrastination. We somehow convince ourselves that talking about it is part of the planning process when we’re actually stalling. First, get started. Then talk as you go. But, don’t talk too much, keep some for yourself.
- Believe in yourself and your abilities. This is the most important tip on how to accomplish your goals. Sometimes we fall into thinking we are not good enough, smart enough or talented enough. None of this is true. You are amazing! The sooner we start to believe this and get rid of the negative self-talk, the closer we get to accomplishing our goals.
It All Starts From Within…
I know this all seems easier said than done, and it may seem like a lot to do all at once. But, if you only take one thing away from this post, believe in yourself and everything else will follow. Self-confidence takes practice, but it is worth our time and effort.
Accomplishing our goals is not about skill or luck. It is about knowing we are capable of doing whatever our minds can imagine.
Lastly, just remember that no one makes it to the top without failing a time or two, or 10.
So start now. Feel the fear and keep going, get rid of excuses, put actions behind your words, and believe you can. You can only go up from here!