Your rituals: A Simple Way to Transform Your Life
This article is written to share with you about how a daily ritual helps to transform your life.
We all have the desire to keep growing and evolving, whether we act on it or not. So often, for many of us days seem to just fly by and we keep doing the same things. This article describes how you can create ways to build in DAILY growth and change in your life. Small tweaks in your day through build-in daily rituals lead to huge growth.
What is a ritual?
Let’s start off with describing what a ritual actually is:
“Ritual: A set of fixed actions and sometimes words performed regularly, especially as part of a ceremony” (Cambridge Dictionary).
In this description there are three key elements that make a ritual so powerful:
- Fixed actions
- Performed regularly
- As part of a ceremony
If you want to bring any kind of change in your life, regular attention to the actions you need to take will get you there faster, easier and with less frustration. Regular attention is so much easier when you defined fixed actions. Because, anything fixed and repetitive is easy to remember. It also empowers you as you do not need to think or doubt again about whether you have been doing what is most important to you. Putting the fixed actions into a fixed order and making it fun and exiting as a whole transforms your ritual into a ceremony, a ceremony dedicated to you!
Elements of a good ritual
There are many ways to have a build-in ritual in your day, helping you to reach any goal. I myself really love the simple concept described in Miracle Mornings by Hal Elrod. In this book there are six elements described as the basis for a ritual; “life SAVERS”. These are:
Meditation or even just sitting in silence has many benefits you have probably heard and or read about a lot. If you are not yet doing this, trust that there is a very good reason many successful people do this daily. I am not going to get into all the benefits of this in this article as it would make it twice as long, but will give some tips in case you are not yet doing this:
- You do not need to spend a lot of time on this. Just start with 5 minutes and see if you feel ready to extend.
- If you find it hard to meditate, start out with guided meditation. There are many apps available that can provide you any type of guided meditation you can think of.
- Do it every day at the same time. Even if you only have one minute; do it for one minute.
Affirmations can have a magical effect, especially if you do them daily. I was one of the ones thinking this was kind of weird at first. Or thinking I would not need it, I was already confident enough. But it is not necessarily about looking in the mirror telling yourself you are great and can do anything.
It is more around setting intentions and truly believing in them. Starting to realize anything is possible. Once you learn how to write affirmations in a powerful way, they will work! Tips on making affirmations work:
- Write them down as if you are already there. It helps to start your affirmation with “I am happy and grateful now that……”
- Write them in a way you can FEEL is 100% correct to you. So for instance you want to make $30.000 a month. You could then write down “I am happy and grateful that I am now making $30.000 a month”. If you read that out loud and feel something is missing, you do not believe it yet, then go deeper. Think about what is making you doubt it. Maybe you feel like that would take a lot of work and therefore you feel some stress coming up with this affirmation. Then think about how you can take away that ‘negative’ emotional connection in this affirmation. For instance; you could believe it and feel comfortable with it if you would reach this goal through are working effortlessly, fully in flow. Then change your affirmation to: I am so happy and grateful now that I am making $30.000 a month while working effortlessly from flow.
Taking time to visualize your ideal day is a powerful tool as well. It will help you to take consistent action and it will help you to focus on what is truly important to move towards this. Next to this, together with the affirmations it will help you free the potential that is already inside of you, waiting to be woken up. The key for a good visualization is to include emotions and details.
Visualize how you feel, how the people around you feel and interact with you. Visualize where you are, colors, smells and touch – use all your senses.
Exercise gives you a boost throughout the whole day. We all now it is good, still many of us do not do it daily. Mostly because of lack of time. But even with a 15 minute exercise in the morning you feel so much more energized.
You will kick-start your body and brain and feel good about yourself the rest of the day. Isn’t that worth 15 minutes of your time?
Read at least 10 pages a day. There are so many good books that can help you grow. If you make sure you read some pages each day, you can read many books in a year.
This one I love! There are countless ways to do this. One key element I would include is: Gratitude. Write down in the morning what you are grateful for. Some other ideas; write down insights, ideas, thoughts. Clearing your head before you start the new day is like a gift to yourself each and every time.
I have myself tried different rituals in the past year and would like to share some very simple actions that have a great impact on my start of the day:
- Do not touch your phone for at least the first hour after waking up. Why you think? Once you look on your phone first thing after waking, your attention is directly shifting outwards and you are missing out big time. When you do not do this, you keep much closer to yourself and avoid letting your mind getting filled up with distraction. A much better way to tune in to what you want or expect from your day.
- The first thing you do is make up your bed. This one feels good! I myself live alone so did not always make my bed when I got out, no one would notice anyway.. But doing this simple thing that takes 1 minute makes you feel good right away. This is because you start the first minute of your day with completing something, doing something – taking action.
- Hydrate. To drink water directly after getting out of bed makes me feel like I am taking good care of my body and it sets the tone for the rest of the day.
- Brushing my teeth with the other hand. This one can get messy.. I got this one from the author of “Superbrain”; Jim Kwik. Studies have shown that using your not-dominant hand more creates more activity in your brain. Therefore you use much more of your brain capacity.
- FUN. An element that often seems to be forgotten about but to me it is key to the success of a ritual. Make it fun, by using nice material to write stuff on or in. Maybe add a little crazy morning dance move to it. Include jumping up and down three times while smiling out loud. Whatever you consider as fun, do it!
Create your own and make it fun!
Exited yet to start using your potential more, to increase your productivity, effectivity, success and happiness? Then get a piece of paper and start to write down the elements you want to include in your ritual and note the time you will take for each one. Then make it fun for yourself to get to it every day. Buy a nice card or poster to write your ritual on real nicely. Ad drawings if you want, use colors, get creative! Then go out and get yourself a beautiful notebook and cards with beautiful designs to write your affirmations in.
Finally, have a beautiful box where you keep your cards, notebook, book to read, pens, pencils and anything else you need right at hand for your personal ritual. Put it on the place you will use it (for instance next to the couch) so you have everything set and organized.
One of the most well-known books around this is Miracle Morning by Hal Elrod. If you haven’t read it yet and are looking for a way to get more productive, increase your energy level and success, then I would definitely advice you to read it.
I have myself transformed from Miracle Mornings to Miracle Days. Creating my own personal ritual in the morning, one in the afternoon and one mini-ritual before bed to always keep me focused on the right things.